The invention of metallic materials has turned out to be a huge and memorable blessing to every inhabitant of the earth in one way or the other. A tour around the world will surely get you exposed to the truth that almost everyone on this planet makes use of metallic materials in one way or the other. To mention but a few are some of the uses of metals:
- Electric currents are carried by aluminium and copper wires
- Thermometers make use of mercury
- Nuclear energy is generated by uranium metals
- Aircraft frames are built using titanium and its alloys
- Jewelleries are made from gold and silver metals
- Marine equipments are also created using titanium and its alloys
- Magnesium metals act as strong reducing agents during the preparation of other metals
- Sodium, zirconium and titanium are metals also used in the generation of nuclear energy
- Most utensils used at home are produced using metals such as copper, iron and aluminium
- Some military hardware are produced using metals such as titanium
You might be wondering why I listed elements that are used in the production of some metal machines, now, this is going to drive us to knowing the two types of metal. We have ferrous metals and nonferrous metals.
The ferrous metals include mild steel, carbon steel, stainless steel, cast iron, and wrought iron, while the nonferrous metals include aluminium, copper, silver, brass, lead, etc.
I apologize for not including the definition of a metal before now. Actually, a metal can be seen as any material with high electrical conductivity, which can be fusible, opaque, ductile, malleable, hard, or shiny.
Going back to the uses of metals, most of the metals are used in the manufacturing of some equipments and tools – the process of using the metals to produce tools and equipments is known as metal fabrication.
What is metal fabrication?
Metal fabrication is the production of metal equipments, tools, structures which involves processes such as cutting, bending and assembling. It typically involves the construction and production of machines and other structures from a variety of raw materials (metals). Metal structures do not just produce themselves, there are people concerned with the handling of the production machines throughout the whole processes. Let us proceed to who a metal fabricator is.
A metal fabricator is nobody but an individual concerned with carrying out the processes involved in metal fabrication until the final products are produced. A metal fabricator has the duty of cutting, bending and assembling metals to produce his or her desired product. There are also large companies such as metal fabrication Houston companies that make use of more advanced machines in carrying out the fabrication processes.
Some of the Houston Custom Metal Fabrication companies base in manufacturing various machines and tools. Some base in producing military machines, while there are others that base in manufacturing machines and tools used in hospitals, and same thing goes to the aviation sector of the country; there are metal fabrication companies in Houston that base in manufacturing their machines and tools.